When I got out, I discovered I'd skipped the "light the burner" stage of the process, and the kitchen smelled of natural gas (or, strictly speaking, of the additive they put in natural gas so it'll be noticeable by smell). I turned off the gas and turned on the fan. After letting the kitchen air out a bit, I lit the burner.
While I waited for the water to boil, I cleaned out the kitchen sink. When it started boiling, I poured in the box of mac & cheese -- including the unopened packet of cheese flavoring. "Oops!" I dropped the cardboard box next to the stove and grabbed something to fish out the packet with. I'd just gotten it out when I smelled something burning. What's that smell? That's not gas. Why are flames licking up the side of the pot? "Ack!" I grabbed the bottom of the empty box, the torn flap of which was burning brightly, and extinguished it in the adjacent sink.
Some days I'm really glad I don't drive, because I'm not sure I should be trusted with equipment that dangerous.