Saturday, many house things happened. At 10:30AM, the plumber showed up to give me an estimate on the cost of a new water heater, a new sump pump, and a water pressure regulator.
He tsked over my water heater, which has an overflow pipe 4 feet too high above the floor, leaks in two places on the steam vent pipe, pipes that are not actually soldered together at all (there's a blob of solder next to the joint, not on it) and is seventeen years old, to boot.
However, he took one look at my sump pump and said, "You don't need a new sump pump. You need the float repositioned; it's hitting the lid of the pit. Here, do you have a hammera nd a pair of pliers?" (He'd only been planning to give me an estimate, not do any work, so he didn't bring his tools.) A few minutes of tugging and hammering and twisting later (the cord on the float had been pegged to the wall, and there wasn't enough slack on it at first to reposition it properly) and the sump pump is working just fine. (Before, when it wasn't hitting the lid of the pit, it was hitting the wall. Tight squeeze for a float the size of this one.)
After that, he looked at the main water valve and the house's pipes, and asked me what the water pressure in the pipes currently was. Lut checked the inspection report; there was a picture showing it at just slightly over 100 psi. "You don't want a water pressure regulator. You've got 1/2" pipes all through your house. A regulator will cut down on both the pressure and the volume through those pipes, and the result will be that you'll have really lousy volume any time you've got more than one tap/appliance in use. 100 psi is only a bit over the regulation maximum of 80; don't worry about it."
After that, all that was left was the water heater. He gave me a quote on replacing it, and won a brownie point with me by saying he wanted to install one of the old-style models -- both the inspector and my agent had recommended I get the pre-July model, because they're cheaper and more reliable than the new ones. His quote was still a bit higher than what I'd pay at Lowe's or Home Depot. On the other hand, I didn't know for sure that Home Depot or Lowe's would fix the various pipe troubles, either, and this guy had earned major points with me by resolving the other two issues without charging me anything. So I didn't hesitate to hire him to replace the water heater. I've got a day off coming to me that I'll be taking on Thursday, and he'll be back here then to take care of it.
While he was still here, my friend Sherri, who does landscaping work, showed up to look at my backyard and to see what I need in the way of fill dirt. She didn't think it'd be much of a problem, or cost much. She was going to find out how much the dirt'd be, then call me back today. I didn't hear from her today, but I'm not too worried about it. She works part time at the bank, so I expect I'll see her Friday if I don't hear from her before then.
After she and the plumber had left, Lut and I zipped off to Walmart to return a couple of things that didn't work out, including the first mailbox we'd tried to install. We got a new mailbox, which Lut installed when we got home. Yay! I have a mailbox now. No, the house didn't come with a mailbox. We were sort of weirded out when we noticed that, too. We also got a few more plastic chests, so I'd have places to put stuff when I unpacked. I've got plastic drawer units all over the place now. They ain't pretty but they're cheap, and they work well.
We got home in time for the laundry-machine delivery window. I have laundry machines now! Didn't have time to use them before going to the party, though.
On Sunday, I did much laundry. We went shopping for house things again on Sunday, getting yet another plastic chest (whee!) and some shelf-things to hold shoes. We've got a little rack in the kitchen to put our shoes, when we get home, with room for other stuff on it if we can decide what. We also got a rolling garment rack, so that I'd have something to hang stuff up to try on, when necessary. (We used to use the curtain rod for the shower in the old apartment, but the one shower in this house has doors and no rod). For $25 and a no-tool assembly, the garment rack seems surprisingly sturdy. The little shelf-units aren't bad, either. I have to remember the "Store It" brand. Easy to assemble, too. The instructions for the garment rack said "Read instructions completely before assembling!" Those were, in fact, the only words to read on the instructions; the rest was all pictures. o.O
Sunday night, we made another effort to get the city to take our garbage away, this time placing it closer to the curb, right around our new mailbox. We'd put it out last week but they didn't touch it. On the way to work, we noticed a curious dearth of garbage cans among the neighbors. In fact, none of them used garbage cans.
When we got home, we discovered that the two trash bags we'd set out had been taken away, but our garbage cans and the tied-off garbage bags inside them had been left alone. Okay, we have weird garbage collection in this area. Are garbage cans out of vogue everywhere or something? Apparently we're just supposed to set out the garbage bags and hope no animals rip them apart before the trashmen show up. Well, whatever it takes.
Today, in a final bit of house news, I found that my agent had at last been able to get a roofer out to look at my roof. He's supposed to come tomorrow -- if it doesn't snow -- and fix it. Hurrah! Not much left that needs to be done on the house. Just more unpacking and the furnace. And I've got a quote on the furnace and A/C; won't be as expensive as I thought. I just have to decide whether to get Janitrol or Lennox, and whether to get a programmable thermostat or not.
Now if I could just convince myself that everything's OK and I can start writing again ....