I've been working diligently on "Prophecy" for the last few days, making up for some of the ground I lost last week, when I was relaxing after my end-of-month writing crunch, and dealing with beginning-of-the-month work crunch. Now things are settling out both places, I hope. For a couple of weeks, maybe I can stop worrying. Or not. Anyway, I've got this week's minimum of writing done, which is nice.
Of course, I'm just going to start losing ground on writing again, soon enough: I need to devote some time to soldifying my plans for the next Just Trust Me session, on Sunday.
But my life is not, in fact, one long series of moving between things I've got some commitment to do (even if it does seem that way at times.) For example, I spent most of last night Sinai, talking to the crew there: mostly Kagetsume, Tuftears, and Brennabat -- and Sophrani, when she finally turned up, just as I was about to head off. I knocked out 500 words for Prophecy after I disconnected from Sinai. My trouble is, once I connect to Sinai, I've got this tendency to leave the window open until I shut down the machine for the night, on the assumption that I can do stuff in other windows while I'm connected. No, no I can't. If I'm connected to Sinai, I'm not focused enough to write so much as a journal entry, never mind a novel. Anyway, making a point of leaving Sinai while there was still some evening left in which I could do other things seems to have worked out well.
By the time I finished work on "Prophecy" for the night, it was getting late. But I stayed up a while longer working on a digital coloring of one of my sketches of Sythyry. I've probably spent six or seven hours on this already, and I have, basically, nothing to show for it, apart from a digital ink job that could best be described as "uninspired". I've been fiddling with the dpi for my original, trying to settle on a good size. I thought I'd try for a print-quality resolution. Well, print-quality resolutions are enormous.
I actually re-scanned the original sketch at the maximum resolution my scanner offers, which is 1600 dpi.
I suspect that I won't need to replace the scanner because the maximum resolution isn't good enough any time in, oh, the next 10 years. 1600 dpi means that a single inch of picture is larger than my entire 19" screen. This might be fine, except that my machine simply isn't up to the task of handling an image that large. Photopaint was slow doing anything with it. I tried again with a more modest 600 dpi. This was closer to manageable. I did the middling ink job at that size, then started to color it. I lost about an hour's worth of coloring work when the program crashed, and spent rather a lot of time waiting for fill commands that I'd accidentally initiated to finish so that I could undo them. (Sigh.)
I started coloring again, decided I didn't want to use the angle I was taking with it, and that I wasn't happy with the inked version of Sythyry's head. This is the point at which I gave up on Sunday night.
Tuesday night, I came back to it, shrank it down to 12x18 at 300 dpi (which is still huge), pasted on the old pencil head with the intent of re-inking it, and then discovered that something odd had happened to my middling ink job. (The lines, which were thick, had somehow had the centers chopped out of them. The whole gives it a bit of a stained glass effect. It's almost pretty, in a way, except that I don't know where to go with it from there.) I spent yet more time trying to find an easy way to correct that, and finally called it quits about an hour later.
I may take another whack at that tonight. I haven't decided what I'm going to do tonight yet. No reason that I have to.